April 19, 2016
11:30 - 1:00
Ivy Tech Auditorium
Bio | Bill McKendry
Bill’s quest to help grow the impact of nonprofits began in 1994 when he brought years of big agency and big brand experience to the table in co-founding Hanon McKendry – an advertising and branding firm that has dedicated over 50% of its work to helping causes and issues that advance humanity and human kindness.
Since then, he and his team have created and implemented marketing campaigns and branding efforts for a diverse mix of regional, national and international nonprofit and corporate clients, resulting in over 900 award-winning programs.
Bill has spoken to hundreds of groups, he’s been an active blogger, and is now completing a book on the subject of how branding and marketing can be best utilized to help nonprofit organizations to do more good.
Having started his career in Denver, Colorado working for Tracy-Locke/BBDO, Bill’s previous corporate client experiences have included American Express, Dodge, Kohler and Taco Bell.
He was just named Vice Chairman and Chief Creative Officer of JDA Worldwide, which acquired Hanon McKendry earlier this year. He now oversees all creative efforts in the firm’s six offices (Atlanta | Colorado Springs | Grand Rapids | Indianapolis | Traverse City | St. Simons Island).
Bill has a marketing and advertising degree from the University of Denver and is a native of Norton Shores, Michigan.
- Inductee, (AAF) American Advertising Federation’s Hall of Achievement
- Recipient, (AAF) Jack Avrett Award for Outstanding Public Service Communications
- Work featured on BBC’s “Commercial Breakdown” series and on the internationally syndicated “World’s Greatest Commercials”
In 1997, Bill helped to form the Compass Film Academy (now is Compass College of Cinematic Arts), a 501(c)3 nonprofit film school also located in western Michigan. He is currently on the Board of Directors and served as its Founding Chairperson.
In 2007, Bill was the driving force behind the formation of the Gravity Alliance – an alliance of multiple competitive firms working together as a single resource to bring more work and attention to the west Michigan advertising and design community.
In 2016, JDA Worldwide acquired Hanon McKendry’s Michigan and Colorado offices.
- International Advertising Festival in Cannes, Judge’s Feature Reel
- International Gabriel Award, Association for Communications
- International Clio Awards Finalist, Public Service Category
- International Radio Mercury Awards Finalist, Public Service Category
- International Webby Awards, International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences
- National Effie Award – Ideas That Work, Best New Product Introduction
- National Addy Awards, American Advertising Federation
- National Obie Awards, National Outdoor Advertising Association
- National Telly Awards, Center for Creativity in Television
- National Pollie Awards, American Association of Political Consultants
- National WebAwards, Web Marketing Association
- National Silver Anvil Award, Public Relations Society of America
- New York Festival Awards, New York Film Festival